Looking to buy a new phone and going through the specs of what's available (Moto X, Nexus 5, LG G2, and Iphone 5s ofcourse) and what's to come (Samsung Galaxy S5). Being a Samsung afficionado for 4 years, I am super excited to read that Samsung may be launching the Samsung Galaxy S5 in March 2014. So I have decided to put my phone shopping on hold till March 2014. Here's what the rumour grapevine has about the specs and features of Samsung Galaxy S5. Fingers crossed!
- First and foremost, it is supposed to be the Diamond Phone. Yes, move on Iphone 5s Gold, here comes the diamond! Samsung is finally ditching plastic for real metal. Well, it’s not just any metal, but diamond- plated metal. According to another Korean IT news portal the R&D team at Samsung Electronics have been working on mechanisms to apply the diamond metal surface treatment technology to metal cases. “Diamond material is coated onto the metal case surface of smartphones. If the metal case is coated with a diamond material, vulnerabilities to scratches and deformation can be redressed. What can I say? Diamonds are forever! :o)
- Second comes the display. Samsung is not averse to the idea of incorporating a flexible display into the Galaxy series. The Galaxy Round that was launched last year comes with a 5.7-inch Amoled screen. The new Galaxy S5 could also sport a similar vertically oriented curved display or may not. Galaxy S5 is supposed to have a 2K display with 560ppi for screens as small as five inches. This is a leaked image of the Samsung Galaxy S5 home screen.
- Third is the release date and price. The release date is expected to be sometime in March 2014, but rumour has it that Samsung may actually prepone the launch to February 2014 since the Samsung Galaxy S4 did not sell as many as predicted. Samsung Galaxy S5 will likely cost around £550 / $650 / AU$700
Ok, now for the nitty-gritties --
- Finger print or Retina scan? Anyone hoping that Samsung will follow in the footsteps of Apple and bring a fingerprint scanner to the Galaxy S5 could be disappointed if certain rumors are to be believed. A Samsung official apparently told the Korean Times that the company is "not yet developing the finger print technology" for its handsets. The eye scanning tech has been in talks after a Samsung exec spoke to Bloomberg and said "Many people are fanatical about iris recognition technology. We are studying the possibility." Ok either way is good as far as I am concerned.
- More power and battery - Samsung has already developed a 3GB RAM chip that will likely go in the Samsung Galaxy S5. With each new version of the samsung galaxy phones, Samsung has upped the power pack for its battery. So its expected that the samsung galaxy S5 will have more power than its predecessor S4 which has 2,600 mAh. Can we hope for 4,000mAh pack? Surely!
- Built-in projector? Yes please! - Rumour has it that the Samsung Galaxy S5 will have a built-in projector. Samsung already has built the Samsung Beam last year which was a niche device but its all about integrating the technology and Samsung has had one year to do it.. so they should be streaming and beaming with the Galaxy S5.